Category

Monday 15 October 2012

Golgappas....

The other day, we were discussing with my wife just how adventurous we should be in enjoying the street delicacies that abound on every street corner. She has been longing for some kebabs that she saw being grilled at a corner near where we live. The place looked clean, decent and was pretty popular with the local people. Its like a hang out joint of sorts where people meet after work and just talk on the street. With each passing day, I became emboldened to pass nearer and nearer the stall so I could take a peep at the "kitchen" and possibly the menu and prices. Yesterday, I was bold enough to pass right next to the counter. Though I was feeling a bit peckish, my stomach suddenly did an about turn and demanded to let out some of its contents. It did not immediately register to my conscious mind what the problem was until I came right up to the counter and saw a customer ravenously enjoying some golgappas. Next to him, stood the stall assistant who was cheerfully dipping the golgappas into a stew and placing them on the customers plate. Only problem was that the assistant was using his hands to dip the golgappas into the stew and the stew looked 'sweaty' with a glistening top layer and was in a big open bucket like container. My stomach just rejected that scene. I tried to suppress images of where those hands may have been, how many people they have greeted, how much sweat they have wiped away, how long has that soup been in that bucket. This is not to say that all golgappas are served this way but I was just amazed that one can even do that..... take a bit of food, dip it in soup for me.... with your bare hands.... then place it on my plate. No thanks. However, I have noticed that maybe I am the one with a problem. It may just be Indian culture. It is not uncommon in the hospital mess to see two men mixing their food together in a plate and eating from it with their hands. I am thinking, "Even if we are best friends and there is no scarcity of food, please get your own plate!" Lets just say that the plans of buying kebabs at that joint have been deferred until further notice.

2 comments:

  1. Poor Sly - no kebabs in sight for the foreseeable future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you wonder why India has the best doctors in the world? It's because it's citizens push the envelope on their susceptibility to diseases a bit too further than the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete